Wednesday 18 July 2007

A good result but what now?

Finally got my mark for this subject and was very pleased that all my hard work produced such a pleasing result.

Initially I was looking forward to the break from study but now that it's mid July the euphoria has faded and I'm left asking "What now?"...
Perhaps I will go ahead and get my Masters in TESOL after all... but I'm giving myself until Christmas to decide. The thing is I'd like to do some useful research rather than simply work my way through another four set units. I just don't feel excited enough about any aspect of TESOL to want to do detailed research on it. Let's hope this changes before December...

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Susan

I have just begun CLN618 in my MEd TESOL at QUT and am exploring this whole blogging concept. I am doing 3 units this semester which will leave one to complete my MEd 01/08. Am planning to reward myself by doing personalised lang. development in French.

Teaching is hard yakka but very rewarding. I drift in and out of it over time. It's addictive, the smell of the classroom, the warm fuzzies you get and give each day.

The longer you do it, the easier it gets.

just_susan said...

Hope you enjoy 618. I did. I encourage my students to use their blogs. Anything that helps them practice their second language I see as a bonus. Yes teaching is a drug. I love it. All the best with your studies this semester.
Regards
Susan H

dlh_downunder said...

Hi Susan,

Wondering how your ponderings are going re further study. I know from personal experience that it's difficult to get that energy going again at the end of each semester. Certainly your research idea sounds like a good prospective avenue to ponder on.

Maybe you can set aside some time each week to do some reading in an area that's currently interesting you or to try to find answers or what other people have done about an issue or problem that's bothering you (teaching-wise) & see if you an fid an are that not many people have explored yet - & that is of interest to you. The biggest determining factor in doing a research study or continuing with a research degree is being able to maintain interest, so if that's what you think you might do, try to find something that you're passionately interested in ... My 5 (not, sorry, it's more like 10, isn't it??) cents worth ...
-Debra-

just_susan said...

Thanks Debra,
I appreciate your 10 cents worth! :) I will certainly give it a great deal of thought over the next few months.
Regards
Susan H