Thursday 19 April 2007

The Saga Continues


It's all been a bit of fun really, costly fun admittedly but fun none-the-less. I have actually learnt a lot of new skills that I probably would have avoided if everything had gone as smooth as glass like last time. Last time refers to 5 or so years ago when I built a website as part of an undergrad course for which I received a 7. :) If I recall the uploading of the site was a guided one and you really didn't learn anything about the actual uploading. The object of the exercise back then was to write an excellent website brief for your 'client' and then build the website in Photoshop would you believe in a million little nightmarish slices; create a template and build your site from there. The architecture of the site was the key. If your informational architecture was right then you had a great user-friendly website.

I tried to keep all this in mind when I built this Quest in Dreamweaver. Time will tell how user-friendly my Quest is when my students actually use it.

Not much of short story is it?

I've uploaded my Quest to my new BigPond webspace. I will be using this space later for my English To Go website; however for now it has my Quest on it. I have also trialled different FTP software called Ipswitch... bit of an omen as I live near Ipswich! It works like a dream with the BigPond site. The beauty of my BigPond site is that I can keep tweaking it... well why not as I am paying for the privelege... not that I'm not paying through the nose at QUT but there it seems you get to load it once and pity help you if you stuff it up because you can't touch it again.

Several STD calls later I found this out though it was pretty obvious to me this at 6am this morning when all I seemed to be able to do was add more folders without correcting a darn thing. Anyway I've had a chat with the powers that be at CSO and a very well spoken fellow whose name I have forgotten cleared the lot and saved it to a new folder for me - [in case there is anything there I may need later]. Now I am free to upload again from scratch but somehow I don't think I'll bother as it all seems rather pointless if you can't go in and change something... like what happens when a link changes and the one you have in your file is no longer valid?

That aside I feel relieved to be able to go somewhere on the web even if I had to pay for the domain space and find my Quest... now my students will actually be able to use it... when I write the rest of the program that is.

That's it for now.

1 comment:

dlh_downunder said...

Some people just can't tell a short story, can they?! ;-}

Good to see what you've done so far susan ... Just remember, webquets are like any other form of creativ writing - sometimes you just can't be satisfied & there's always soomethign else you can tweak, correct, change etc. Why not wait now til you can gt some feedback from me & your fellow classmate(s): Mun & Xin Xin?

-Debra-