Saturday 31 March 2007

Blogs in Practice

This week I had my SSPP class create group blogs. They divided themselves into groups of 4 to 6, and were required to work as a team deciding on blog names, user names, passwords, templates, themes etc.

Initially there was a deal of confusion and hesitation. However, they eventually settled to the task and I was very pleased with the result. As part of the exercise I set up a class blog where I required them to individually rather than as a team leave comments on my postings. This is going to be an ongoing exercise and I will use it as both a teaching and reflection tool for the students.

The last posting I placed on Wednesday afternoon focused on the Rights of the Child - Child Soldiers. I've asked the students to read the linked article and comment on it. I already have my students send me an electronic journal on a weekly basis. I think these blogs add an extra dimension to this type of communication.

I am looking forward to seeing how this exercise unfolds over the next few weeks. I foresee some difficulties as we have a high student turnover with students coming and going on a regular basis. It can be very frustrating as nothing is really long term.

Well that's it for now.

2 comments:

Moon said...

Hello.
I envy you for working with your students.. I would do it after I am going back to teaching in Korea..and last class I really thanked you very much.. due to your help, I mangaged to make my WebQuest easier than I expected.

Thanks again..

Moon said...

Hello.. Susan.
I am having a pleasure time with Dreamweaver at uni everyday..
Thanks for your kindness..
Your teaching is a great value for my webquest.
I don't have my own computer, so I don't need to Dreamweaver software, thanks though.
Initially, I worried about that other uni computers except for B403 computers didn't have DreamWeaver.. but fortunately,, almost computers have..

Anyway thanks for your kindness.. someday I would like to repay you.. ^^*

Best regards ..Moon